Click on the thumbnails to view the ships.

The Ships

s.s Liverpool Packet

t.s.s Markland

s.s Margaret Bowater

s.s Sarah Bowater

s.s Nicolas Bowater

m.s Elizabeth Bowater

m.s Constance Bowater

m.s Alice Bowater

m.s Gladys Bowater

m.s Phyllis Bowater

m.s Nina Bowater

When they were sold

m.s Norskald visit Esjberg 2003

Crew Lists

Photograph Collections

Bowater Standing Orders

Cargo Handling by Capt T.Kearsey


Cinefilm Clips

Shell Tankers

Clan Line

Union Castle Line

Ship Models



E-Mail Me

My final trip o Esjberg was in May 2003. This time I took my brother Robin with me. The reason why I went was to get the telegraph repeater off the engine before she was finally towed to Latvia.

When we arrived I was amazed at how much work had been carried out on her. The mast had been cut down considerably, the reason for this, they had removed tons of iron ballast from the holds and if they hadn`t cut the mast down the ship would have been very unstable. Most of the brass port holes and window frames had removed as well as the lifeboats, lifeboat davits, Mireless generator sets, even the pistons from the main engine had found a new owner.

Drilling mast being removed for stabilty on her final voyage to the breakers
Robin standing in front of the ship Nay 2003
My brother Robin standing next to the pistons that had been removed from the main engine. Robin is 6ft2` which gives you some idea of the size of them.
Some of the damage done to the ship can be seen here
Mortens men did not mess around when it came to removing the portholes and window frames, apart from using torches to assist in there removal they smashed the cabins up to get to them. All that lovely veneer that I have mentioned was wrecked, what a shame. Alot of the rear structures over No4 hold were also removed to allow access to the two generator sets that had been sold.
Another view of the accommodation
Houseflag on the funnel
Lifeboats and davits removed
This is the area where No4 hold would have been, the stuuctures were removed, the deck was then cut using a cutting torch. Once the generators had been removed the deck was stitched back onto the ship for the final voyage.
Massive damage to the accommodation
Work being carried out to remove generator sets
One of the two generators eady for removal, note workman standing on top of it
Generators finally removed and placed on trailers ready for transportation to there new owners.
It was a sad moment for me when I finally stepped off the ship for the last time, although by now she was in a right state I still very much felt the Bowater connection and knew for sure this was the end.

And so the ship was finally made ready for her final voyage. She had been sold to a company in Latvia called Metalurgs. I managed to make a brief contact in the company his name was Michael Krakov and between us we struck up a deal to allow me to remove the bits I wanted before she was towed away.

Norskald finally set sail on the 6th June being towed by the Polish tug Ares, the voyage was to last for 3-4 days. Things started off badly though and the ship hit the harbour wall causing substantial damage to her hull.

Work commenced on the 14th June, non of the remaing machinary was salvaged and the ships steel was recycled and made into nails, metal rods and other materials for the building trade. And so finally ended any connections to the Bowater Steamship Company Ltd.

Morten Smedeegarden kindly photographed the ship being towed out of Esjberg, here is what he sent me.

Tugboat Ares moored against the Norsklad, ready and prepared for her final voyage
Whack! Norskald strikes the harbour wall
Getting into open water
Going, Going, Going, Gone, Farewell Norsklad, Farewell Elizabeth Bowater.
Elizabeth Bowater
Back to the ships